Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blue Whales and a Big God

My daughter, Gracie, 9, is working on a report on mammals for school this week. She chose the blue whale. She absolutely loves whales. I don't blame her.

Monday night she was doing research online. She ran to the love seat where I was working in the living room. "Dad, look at the size of this baby whale next to this person! Whales can weigh up to 200 tons! Their hearts are as big as a car!"

She had a wonder about her. She got so excited that tears began filling her eyes. "Oh my goodness, I'm crying!"

I wanted to explain to her what was happening. I wanted to help her understand the source of this joy. But I was tired. I said nothing.

Tonight, I put the kids to bed. As I lay next to Gracie, I finally spoke: "Grace?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you remember the other night when you were telling me about the whales? Do you remember how you felt?"

"Uh huh."

"Do you know why you felt that way?"

She shakes her head.

"Sometimes when we see something really good, or true, or beautiful, it makes our hearts have that happy feeling. When that happens, God is giving us a way to know and understand Him better. He shows us good, true, and beautiful things because He wants us to see how good, and true, and beautiful He is.

And that's why you felt that way about the whales."
 

2 comments:

  1. It is beautiful when something that God created gives you such joy and amazement.
    By the way, Gracie is 10 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... that's embarrassing. She is just growing up so fast that I can't keep up!

    ReplyDelete